Monday, November 8, 2010

Worry-Warts and Letting Go of The Ball

A friend was telling me how her dog loved playing with toys. This dog loved his toys so much, he would become anxious about them to the point of making himself miserable.

One day, the dog had a new ball and refused to let go of it, being afraid of losing it or someone taking it. She later found the dog under the table, panting and looking longingly at his water bowl. He wouldn't even let go of it to get himself a drink. So he just laid under that table, panting, hot and unhappy. But he had his ball!

It made me think of the times when I have gotten something I really loved and instead of enjoying it, I worried over it. What if it broke? What if I messed it up? Or if I loaned it to someone and they messed it up?

Then my thoughts wondered past the little worries in life as I remember how often I've worried over a job: Am I working hard enough? Does everyone like me? Am I doing it right? What if I get fired? Or they say I'm no good?

Or how about that new car: What if I get in a wreck? The new house: What if we can't afford it? What if something goes wrong? Or maybe a relationship: What if it doesn't work out? What if I do something stupid to make them mad?

Just how many good gifts do we spoil with our worry?



Jesus said: "Don't worry about your life. Don't worry saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' For the lost children - (those who don't know the Heavenly Father who rains down good and perfect gifts on his children. The Heavenly Father who waters the earth, clothes the fields and provides food and shelter for all living creatures)- they go after such things. Your Heavenly Father knows what you need." Matthew 6:25-32 paraphrased

I know this, yet I still worry. Why can't I get this down in my heart? That no matter what life throws at me, I'm loved. He will take care of me because I love Him? For I do. I love Him so very much. No, I'm not perfect. Yes I mess up a lot. But His grace is sufficient. His love fills in our gaps. That's what the Bible says. Right?

My friend went on to tell me how she sat down at the table where her dog lay and looked down at him. And I don't care what people think about dogs, when they love you, they understand everything you say. I don't know how, but they do. She told her little furry friend that he was making himself miserable with that toy and he needed to give it to her. She would keep it safe.

And he did! Which shocked even her. He set the ball in her lap and ran over to get a drink. After that, he was perfectly happy.

Isn't that how it needs to be with the Lord? We need to set our cares in his lap before we harm ourselves. Before we dry up.

Psalm 55:22 says: Casts your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; for he will never let the righteous fall.

1 Peter 5:7 says: Casts all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.


I leave you with these words from a wise man to ponder:
"I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever' nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him." - Solomon in Ecclesiastes 3:12-14
Be blessed!
J.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Jackie! Love the story with the dog. God is so good to give us visuals to teach us life lessons. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Love and big worry-free hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails