Monday, January 25, 2010

Coming to a screeching halt

Life comes fast and hard sometimes. That's how it's felt for me the past few months. Like everything is racing by and I can't seem to catch up or stay on track. I slow down here and there to check in with God, kind of like a drive-by prayer. I dump my thoughts and fears and sometimes I linger long enough for Him to get a word or two amidst my scattered thoughts and demands.

From the craziness of my daily life, I knew it was time to stop and regroup.
I get so flustered I just want to plug my ears and sing out "lalalallalalalalalala... I can't hear anything!" But then I can't hear God either when I'm trying the escape route.



No, it comes down to simply having to make time to sit quietly, wait patiently and listen intently.

And on one such day, I clicked over to one of my favorite blogs A Holy Experience where I found a couple of passages about the importance of slowing down and checking in with our Heavenly Father. Our small daily activities are important. Jesus said a sparrow doesn't fall from the tree without God knowing. He also said we are much more important. Our daily struggles matter to Him.

I decided to begin scheduling times to STOP- Stop, think, obey and pray. I set three alarms on my digital calendar to remind me and for the most part, I've been able to pause a moment each time. Sometimes just to give a word of thanks when things are going well. A plea for help when they aren't. Other times it's simply asking, "How am I doing? What do I need to be doing?"

It's made a difference. I'm finding inner peace once again and realizing things I need to change. Best of all, I'm beginning to hear Him again and I so need to hear His voice, His direction, His comforting words when I'm out of sorts.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
Prov. 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails