Friday, September 17, 2010

The Poor In Spirit...

Blessed are the poor in spirit,

For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Matt. 5:3

I hadn’t fully grasped the concept of poor in spirit before. I always thought it meant someone who was down, sad, perhaps. Yet I think it may be more than that.

The poor. Without. Destitute.

At the end of your resources.

Completely empty.

Done.

This is what I’d written in my journal Monday morning. “Lord, you have to step in. I give up. I have no more fight in me.”

Blessed are the poor, those who have nothing, those who have run out…

For theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Kingdom of endless supply. The kingdom that knows no bounds.

It is from this kingdom, where all his children dwell, both rich and poor that all can draw from and find all they need. It’s the Kingdom where God dwells. It’s the place where love rules.

“For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you being rooted and established in love may have power together with all the Lord’s people to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:14-19


I had given up on a situation. I just had no more fight in me. And when I told the Lord that I was empty, He sent someone that was full to help out. This person gave the encouragement and wise counsel that we needed to keep going.

And such is the Kingdom of God. When we are strong, we feed into the poor. When we are weak, someone who’s strong feeds into us. This is how I believe God intends for it to be. It’s why He tells us not to store up treasures on earth, but rather in His Kingdom. The Kingdom that’s never ending.

When we are part of the Kingdom, it’s ours. It supplies our needs. Provides shelter. It’s giving and receiving and giving back. It’s taking care of an orphan, or helping to feed the elderly who can’t fix their own meals, or encouraging a friend who is discouraged.

God didn’t get angry over my weakness. He didn’t lecture me about complaining or whining. He stepped in and He picked me up and He said, “Look little one, there’s still hope. I’m here. I’ll provide.”

And He does. And He will for all of his beloveds out there.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails