Monday, May 3, 2010

Hope Undaunted

Caleb and Joshua were in their 80’s when God finally allowed the Israelites into the Promised Land. Over the past couple of months, this story has revisited me several times. I read about it in Francine River’s book “The Warrior: Caleb.” Heard the story referred to during not just one sermon, but a few. Then during a parenting crisis, the story in the Bible of God leading the Israelites out of Egypt helped me understand that God knew only two well how frustrating children can sometimes be.

Constant battles make even the best of soldiers grow weary. I’m not warrior material. At least, I’ve never felt much like a warrior. I’m a peace-lovin’, Let’s-all-get-along-and-love-one-another-right-now kind of girl. I hate conflict. Despise confrontations. Get mortally wounded when people don’t “play nice.”

In a moment of hopelessness, someone reminded me once again of the story of the two old warriors that fought each battle like young men in their prime. Yet I know they, too, grew weary. If Bengay had been available back then, it might have been one of the greatest inventions beside the wheel and fire.

I came to realize one morning as I read the story of Jericho, that it wasn’t their strength that won the battles. It was their obedience. God provided the pounding force that brought down the walls; they provided the willing hearts that made it possible.

On my knees, I cried out to God that I had no more fight in me. I had run out of ideas on what to do next. I had simply run out. In that moment, though, a glimmer of hope shone through the one crack the enemy couldn’t blind me to.

I was able to say, “I know You. I know Who You are and what You can do. And I know that when I’m weak, You are made STRONG.”

Joshua and Caleb learned to listen and obey. More importantly, they never wavered in their faith and trust in Who they served and What He Was Capable Of.

Father God, never allow me to lose sight of who you are. Like Job after he lost everything, and his friends were berating his faith in You, he was able to say, “I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.” (42:2)
Father, I know you have good plans. I know you have placed us in the palm of your hand. I know the magnitude of Your miracle-working wonders. You are all I need to sustain through this life storm. Thank you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails