Friday, February 25, 2011

Finding the Cleft of Quietness

It's been one of those crazy, busy weeks where some things have a way of getting pushed to the side. My most sincere apologies. Here is a post from the archives that seemed appropriate for this time. Next week, I promise to be back to my regular schedule with new thoughts. God Bless.


The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the
Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by."

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the
rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.

After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the
earthquake.

After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.
And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his
cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.

Then the Lord said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

When I was a child, I loved to climb high up in the trees, find a sturdy crook in the branches, and sit there, surrounded by greenery, splattered sunlight and a gentle rustling breeze. It felt like I'd entered a whole different world. Swaying... Cool... Soothing. I could sit up there for hours and hours, just thinking... swaying... hiding away in the tree's strong cocoon of shimmering greens.


I still find a need to seek out those solitary, quiet places. Now I'm bit too old to climb trees. Darn it. But I often find myself lured to quiet shady spots beneath spreading branches. I need that quiet. It's where I hear God best.


It's so easy to get swept up in the daily cacophony of noise, stress, demands and pressures. It's so easy forget to withdraw, every once in awhile to those quiet places, whether it be the shade of a tree, cradled in the bough of branches, or swinging on a hammock, or simply sitting quietly at a desk, or a favorite chair.




I need to let the gentle breeze of His voice flow over me, tickling my skin, tugging tresses of hair, gentle air kisses on my cheek, whispered words in my ear. Time to be still before Him. Opportunity to hear Him ask, "What are you doing here? What's your purpose? Are you following mine or yours?"




We need to find God,
and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness.
God is the friend of silence.
See how nature - trees, flowers, grass -
grow in silence;
See the stars, the moon and the sun,
how they move in silence...

We need silence to be able to touch souls
.

Mother Theresa



Father, may I always remember you are my rock. You are my place of safety. You are the quiet place where I can seek refuge in a crazy world. Meet me always in those quiet places. Let me always hear your voice come on the quiet breezes. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Jackie. I love your peaceful reminders. Thank you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails